How can I get a Library card?
- Get instant access with an eCard by completing our online form.
- Upgrade your eCard by contacting us.
- Sign up for a traditional Library card in any branch; be sure to bring identification that includes your name and current address.
- Children aged 15 and younger must have a parent/guardian present to apply on their behalf.
What does my Library card give me access to?
- Borrow up to 50 items at a time (with some limits on specific formats);
- Borrow up to 20 eBook/audiobook titles from Overdrive/Libby;
- Access to all of the Library's Online Resources and databases for free;
- Request items be held for you, or request items be borrowed from other libraries in Ontario on your behalf;
- In-branch computer access;
- Access to technology to use or borrow, including 3D printers, mobile hotspots, iPads, and more.
What am I responsible for as a Library customer?
- Have your Library card, or Library card number, available to access services as needed;
- Be responsible for all materials borrowed on your Library card, including replacement costs if items are damaged or lost;
- Observe all policies established by the Library Board for use of Library services, collections, and spaces;
- Library memberships must be renewed every two (2) years, at any Library branch location;
- Report the loss of a card or change of address or other contact information as soon as possible.
- See our Library Membership policy.
Is there any cost associated with using the Library?
- Replacement Library cards have a replacement cost of $0.50.
- Printing, photocopying, and 3D printing have fees associated - please see our Technology page;
- Items that are deemed lost or returned damaged will have replacement costs associated. Replacement costs vary per item.
- Non-residents (i.e. people who do not live or work in Durham Region) will be charged an annual fee of $35 (or $20 for a six-month period).
- Library accounts that reach over $100 in fees owing for more than 60 days will have a $15 referral fee attached. See our Overdue and Lost Items page for more information about this process.